Monday, December 21, 2009

Thoughts of Christmas

I have been pondering on the Christmas spirit lately, and am wondering why it is only one time a year when we think and act to help those who are in need, not only on Christmas, but every day throughout the year. Last night my sweet hubby gave a great Family Home Evening lesson on being grateful for what we have and not complaining because we may not like the broccoli or raisin bread that is served for a meal. He shared some very touching true stories about kids and adults who would give anything for a good meal, even broccoli. Or people who would keep their beds made and rooms cleaned if they only had a bed or a room. There is a passage in the Book of Mormon that I have also been pondering on for a few weeks. The phrase is "and there were no poor among them". It was at a time when those who had the "good" things in life shared with those who had little or nothing freely, not being forced to do it. One thing that I love about Christmas is the spirit of brotherhood that prevails, the patience and love for those around us. My question is, why don't we as members of the human race, have these feelings and act on them all year long? Aren't we supposed to follow Jesus Christ every day, not just to celebrate His birthday? There is no problem stepping things up a notch or two at Christmas, but what about the rest of the year? My mother-in-law was telling my sister-in-law and me about a soup kitchen that she had inquired at, where throughout November and December there were no spots available for going to help serve meals. However, come January, there seemed to be few spots filled.

I am not trying to make anyone feel badly, I am guilty of all of this, however, when I make my New Year resolutions, I think I am going to focus less on my own person selfish desires, and perhaps make a few goals to help my fellow man.

Ok, enough with the serious side of things. Only four more days to Christmas, and the kids are out of school for 2 weeks. What is a mother to do to keep these little darlings occupied so they don't fight and quarrel? Perhaps there is a soup kitchen or homeless shelter who could use some energetic little helpers?

From the Butlers to all of you.....Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment